Regional Innovation Award Appendix B: Answer Guidelines
Appendix B: Answer Guidelines
The following outline is suggested as a guide for questions 4 through 9 of the Regional Innovation Award application. Please do not answer each question separately. Instead, use these as a guide to help frame your answers.
I. Setting Regional Goals
- What is the vision for the region? What are the overall goals?
- Who helped develop these goals/vision?
- Has that vision been shared with the broader region? How?
- Do residents of the region share these goals/vision?
II. Building Regional Capacity
- Describe the gap between the region’s current reality and its desired future, and what is being done to realize this envisioned future.
- Do the individuals and organizations involved represent multiple jurisdictions and sectors? How did they learn to work together?
- How was the broad public discussion about the region’s future – its critical issues and opportunities – framed to focus attention on the actions required?
- Describe how key information and messages were communicated so that they stimulated learning and discussion among opinion leaders and citizens.
- Describe actions taken to rally, motivate and inspire others to join the regional cause.
- Describe efforts to recruit a broader set of people to participate in the next steps and how diverse networks were connected.
- What mechanisms or controls, if any, were used to ensure that participants followed through on their commitments?
- Provide examples of the new ways of thinking about regional problem-solving that have resulted from these efforts.
III. Achieving Tangible Results
- Describe the specific, tangible results that have emerged from regional initiatives. Describe how these and other results will be measured and assessed over time.
- Describe the new networks, partnerships or alliances that have been created among participants and how they generate tangible results, both now and in the future.
- Describe the multi-jurisdictional and multi-sector coalitions that contributed to the activities described above and how they produced tangible results.
- What long-term results are expected? What is the timeline for these results?
IV. Demonstrating an Ongoing Commitment to Action
- How has the region institutionalized regional leadership development? What new skills have regional leaders adopted to ensure sustained change?
- What are the roles of the new or reformed institutions and alliances in sustaining regional change?
- How has the initiative resulted in systemic change that will be sustained over time? What methods are in place to sustain the change?
- How has the process been designed to refocus and regroup around new regional challenges and opportunities? Is a plan in place? How is it being implemented?