COVID 19 Updates
Chambers Continue to Wrestle with Reopening Challenges
As our communities continue efforts to reopen amid the COVID-19 crisis, chambers of commerce are working to address ongoing challenges to help avoid additional spikes, shutdowns and dips in consumer confidence.
Promoting responsible behavior around social distancing and facial coverings remains a priority. Many chambers placed their initial focus on rallying their business members around responsible reopening guidelines as a way to promote safety and boost consumer confidence as restrictions ease and consumers return to shopping, dining and recreation.
Discussion on recent ACCE roundtable calls has shifted to marketing efforts to promote responsible behavior to the public as local debates around mask mandates continue in many communities. With local mandates varying widely and confusion around enforcement and liability issues, last week we saw the U.S. Chamber and other business associations call for national standards on masks.
Examples of outreach to promote wearing masks
Many chambers have launched or supported regional initiatives to promote wearing masks:
- Austin Chamber – Let’s be a city of US campaign
- Charleston Metro Chamber – One Region #WearTheMask videos
- Charlotte Regional Business Alliance promoting Count on me CLT
- Daytona Regional Chamber Back in Business Safely
- Eau Claire Area Chamber – We Ask That You Wear a Mask
- Greater Fort Wayne Inc. I Am One PSA
- Greater Gainesville Chamber – Drive-Thru Mask Distribution
- Greenville Chamber promoting the Greater GVL Pledge
- Huntsville Madison County Chamber – Mask Up Huntsville
- McAllen Chamber of Commerce – Why I Wear a Mask
- Mobile Area Chamber – Keep Alabama Open PSA
- Orlando Economic Alliance promoting #DoYourPartORL
- Greater Phoenix Chamber supports the city’s mask requirement
- Greater Rochester Chamber "We're Open" Promos
- Greater Topeka Partnership – Topeka Promise
- Vail Valley Partnership - Wearing a mask, an easy way to support opening the economy
- The Atlantic: These 8 Basic Steps Will Let Us Reopen Schools
- #NOCOVID practical communications and messaging tips for local leaders to influence safer behavior
- McKinsey & Company: US Consumer Sentiment During the Coronavirus Crisis
- National Governor’s Association: Guide for Preparing the Future Workforce Now
- Morning Consult: About One-Third of Public Comfortable Returning to “Normal Routine”
Recent ACCE Programs
- Membership: Webinar on selling in the age of COVID featuring the Nashville Area Chamber and Chamber of Commerce of the Palm Beaches.
- YP Programs: Webinar on how chamber YP programs are adapting amid the COVID-19 crisis featuring the Tulsa Regional Chamber and ChamberRVA.
- Events: Several recent Events Division calls focused on virtual and hybrid events.
- View all upcoming webinars and roundtable calls.