Resources For Working With Boards
Chambers commonly have questions about working with board members. Common questions include "How do I orient my new board members?" and "How do I manage conflicts of interest on my board?" or "How can I effectively work with my new board chair?" ACCE's HERO portal contains resources to address these questions and more!
Books in the ACCE Store:
- How To Manage Your Board While Your Board Manages You: A Practical Guide To Working Effectively With a Board For Both New and Experienced CEOs by Martin M. Coyne II
- Managing Conflicts of Interest, A Primer for Nonprofit Boards by Daniel L. Kurtz and Sarah E. Paul
- Taming the Troublesome Board Member by Katha Kissman
- The Imperfect Board Member: Discovering the Seven Disciplines of Governance Excellence by Jim Brown
- The Nonprofit Board Answer Book: A Practical Guide for Board Members and Chief Executives by BoardSource
- Nonprofit Management 101: A Complete and Practical Guide for Leaders and Professionals by Darian Rodriguez Heyman
- Governance as Leadership: Reframing the Work of Nonprofit Boards by Richard P. Chait, William P. Ryan, and Barbara E. Taylor
- Presenting: Board Orientation, An Introductory Presentation for Nonprofit Board Members by BoardSource
ACCE University eCourse:
- Chamber 101: Introducing the Work of Chambers of Commerce: In this foundational 8-part eCourse twelve chamber practitioners offer a broad stroke presentation that highlights the work of chambers. This online course is designed to both work in tandem with chamber staff and board orientation programming, while offering a flexibile training tool that can be incorporated into any chamber retreat, lunch-n-learn or training activity.
- Board Composition and Responsibilities
- Board Management and Conflict
- Board Meetings and Retreats
- Board Member and CEO Relationships
Chamber Executive Magazine articles:
- How Well Does Your Board Govern?
- Whose Responsibility Is It?
- Board Effectiveness
- Board Orientation
- The Chamber Board
- Board Policy is Good Policy
- To Steer the Ship, a Board Needs DirectionFrom the Chair: An Effective Board Begins With Clarity
- Educating Rita, Mark, Thomas and Eduardo…
- Planning a Productive and Efficient Board Retreat
Samples – Board Management:
- Greater Valparaiso Chamber of Commerce Ethics Policies
- Characteristics and Attributes of an Ideal Board Member
- Governance: Board Appraisal (VA)
- Governance: Conflict of Interest Statement (ACCE)
- Governance Policy (Lubbock, TX)
- See all Board Management Samples
Outside of ACCE, other valuable resources for working with boards are avaialble through BoardSource.org. They offer publications through their Learning Center. Some of their resources are free and some have a cost.
Please note - for ACCE's online resources, members will need to Log in with your username and password. (Forgot your password? Click here.) Have questions, need research assistance, or want to suggest a new link or contribute to our Samples? Please email us at HERO@acce.org.
Strategic Planning Resources at ACCE
Where do you go and what resources do you use for your chamber's strategic planning process? One place to turn and return to is ACCE's Strategic Planning Chamberpedia page from the HERO portal. We have put together a collection of resources on strategic planning and our page specifically address available Online Resources and Examples, working Samples of Strategic Plans from our members, Presentations from the ACCE 2013 Convention, and Articles from previous issues of ACCE's Chamber Executive magazine. Just want to get your feet wet? Check out the Strategic Planning Samples from the ACCE Samples Library.
Like all our Chamberpedia pages and in our Samples Library, we invite and welcome your contributions to help us continue to grow and expand on these valuable resources. Have a sample Strategic Plan or go-to resource you use at your chamber? Let us know by emailing email@example.com or visit Ask ACCE to connect with more ACCE resources.
The HERO team can also prepare a customized Operations Survey PowerPoint presentation for your chamber. This presentation is great for planning purposes and provides a way to show your board or staff how your chamber compares to other chambers across the country. This PowerPoint presentation, customized with your chamber's logo, includes all of the charts and graphs from the 2012-2013 Operations Survey report. Your chamber's survey responses and calculated measures are plotted on each chart. This is a visually appealing graphical representation of your chamber's membership statistics, financial indicators, and operating ratios relative to chambers across the country. The presentation can be purchased anytime. Available now at ACCE's Bookstore.
Questions? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.