Dear ACCE Membership Development Division members,
Good afternoon! Below please find some sales and membership development information that you may find useful.
Message from MDD Advisory Board:
Is it Time to Re-Think Your Chamber Revenue Model?
Five years ago, our Chamber made the switch from a fair share to tiered dues revenue model. Initially, we enjoyed increased revenues and a positive response from prospective members, as we offered choice and bundling of services. Although sales have been stable over the past two years, we are not seeing the growth we once did. Members choose to upsize and downsize membership levels as per their needs, and we are replacing members are we lose them – so little net growth.
We are now planning another iteration of our revenue model in which entry-level membership costs would be lower, and customized, a la carte options to suit individual member needs would be offered. We anticipate that this new structure will remove perceived membership cost barriers and provide opportunities for multi-year commitments, custom conversations about value, and just-in-time solutions required for individual member businesses. The sales team will work with each member to determine the products or services meeting the member’s needs and budget, including event sponsorships, professional development, advertising, networking opportunities or others.
The transition to this program will take approximately 18 months, since our plans are to approach our top investors first and work our way through the membership before offering inexpensive memberships publicly. We learned from our transition to tiers that we cannot switch revenue models overnight, and we must bring members along on the journey. We anticipate that our new client-centric structure will align the sales team by taking an account management approach for all services, simplify our commission structure, increase membership numbers, and grow overall chamber revenue.
How is your revenue model working? What is your chamber doing to refresh it? Let’s continue this conversation at our next MDD roundtable call on Tuesday, May 15 at 12:30 pm ET. Call-in information is available on the ACCE website. Hope you can join us!
Director of Member Services, Calgary Chamber
- MDD roundtable on chamber revenue models. Join your Membership Development peers for our next peer-to-peer roundtable call on Tuesday, May 15, at 12:30 pm. Moderated by Rebecca Wood of the Calgary Chamber, we will explore chamber revenue models. No pre-registration is necessary; more information about the call is here.
- Annual convention, July 17-20. Time to register for #ACCE18 in Des Moines! We’re planning an exciting series of membership-related sessions. See our convention learning pages for more on Creative Conversion: Filling Your Sales Funnel with Digital Leads, Enhancing Events with Digital, A Career in Membership: Stories, Inspiration and Advice, The Science of Member Loyalty (with Cathi Hight), The Modern Member (with Kyle Sexton), and more. We’re also planning a problem-solving roundtable session for the entire membership division and plenty of opportunities for networking and fun. Check our convention page often for updates and register here.
News and Resources:
- New to the chamber world? Check out our collection of key new member resources available on our Division page, including a recording of our first new membership sales representative roundtable call in April. We’ll be putting together a schedule for additional calls beginning in fall 2018.
- Sales Contest – almost a wrap! We’re weeks away from the close of this year’s sales contest. Use this link to submit your Quarter 4 sales numbers (March 1 – May 31) by the deadline, June 4, 2018. Standings for Quarters 1 through 3 and more details about the contest are available on our Sales Contest page. No quarterly entries will be accepted after midnight on Tuesday, June 5.
- Lifetime Sales Achievement Awards – get recognized! Have you reached any of the following new sales levels? If so, submit your completed Lifetime Sales Achievement Recognition Form to Susan McGuire no later than Friday, June 1. This is a hard deadline, so don’t delay.
- Bronze: 500 sales or $175,000 in sales
- Silver: 750 sales or $300,000 in sales
- Gold: 1000 sales or $500,000 in sales
- Platinum: 1250 sales or $750,000 in sales
- Million Dollar Circle: $1 million in sales
- Diamond: $1.5 million in sales
- HERO news. Here’s the latest:
- The Membership Policies and Procedures and Publications Chamberpedia pages were recently updated and expanded. New chamber examples have also been added to the Samples Library, including pieces on new membership orientation, infographic reports, and diversity & inclusion. Use your ACCE login to download materials.
- Get the new Chamber Membership Statistics Report for FY 2017 to see five-year retention trends and information on numbers of chamber members over the years.
- We’re facilitating connections among members who have used different types of customer relationship management (CRM) software systems and are willing to provide advice and information to other members. Are you willing to be added to our list of CRM users? If so, please contact us (HERO@acce.org).
- Need a chamber example, model or best practice? HERO can empower you! Contact us by email, click on Ask ACCE, give us a call (703-998-3524), or schedule a web meeting.
All the best,
ACCE’s Membership Development Division