On Aug. 31, President Obama signed a proclamation designating September as National Preparedness Month. The effort, in its ninth year, is led by FEMA's Ready Campaign in partnership with Citizen Corps and The Ad Council. The campaign is a nationwide effort encouraging individuals, families, businesses and communities to work together and take action to prepare for emergencies. Through its member chambers, ACCE is doing its part to help communities be prepared for disasters and recovery efforts.
ACCE’s Disaster Preparedness and Recovery Task Force is compiling material for the soon to be published Disaster Preparedness & Recovery Toolkit. Building on the information provided in the Fall 2011 issue of Chamber Executive, the Task Force is seeking your input to create an even more robust source of information that will be of great value to ACCE members. All submitted material will be considered for usage in the toolkit and ACCE’s online Samples Library. Sample documents being sought for ACCE’s Disaster Preparedness/Recovery Toolkit include:
- Disaster Preparedness/Recovery Plans, Emergency Operations/Communications Plans
- Tips for chambers: Before/After Disaster
- Case studies (success stories/lessons learned in disaster preparedness and/or recovery)
- Communication sent to stakeholders (staff, members, etc.) in preparation for and immediately after disaster strikes, i.e. “situation updates” in the days immediately following disaster.
- Suggested resources organizations should be aware of. (Is there a website a chamber should consult? A document that can help an organization write a disaster plan? A company or other resource that can assist in disaster recovery? Timelines?)
Members who are interested in contributing this valuable information for the upcoming toolkit may complete this form and send it, along with the requested material, to Tania Kohut, ACCE staff liaison for the Disaster Preparedness and Recovery Task Force via email or to ACCE’s office (4875 Eisenhower Ave., Suite 250, Alexandria, VA 22304). Deadline for submissions is Friday, October 12. For more information, contact Tania Kohut at 703-998-3532.
Read FEMA’s press release announcing National Preparedness Month.