Annual Meeting Campaign: “Come on Down” - Champaign County Chamber of Commerce
2014 ACE: Award of Excellence
The Champaign County Chamber of Commerce Annual Meeting continues to exceed membership expectations and motivates us to go beyond what was accomplished the year before. By using print and electronic collateral, social media, and interactive videos and games, we accomplished several objectives for the event, including exceeding 2012 event profits and engaging all attendees in an exciting program.
Date: February 7, 2015
Organization: Champaign County Chamber of Commerce
City: Champaign, IL
Community Peer Group: Emerging Cities
Revenue Category: $450,001-900,000
We threw out the traditional rubber chicken dinner and created an annual meeting the local business community did not want to miss. Using a game show theme, the interactive program celebrated members’ successes, chamber strengths and all the employees who make the Champaign County business community thrive. Our annual meeting is a platform that provides members with increased visibility and shows their importance to the local economy; members also learn about one another. Our main goal was to create a program that made members feel valued, but we also sought to:
- Exceed profits from the 2012 Annual Meeting by selling sponsorships and tickets.
- Exceed the previous year’s attendance.
- Develop a video of members and their unique offerings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBH7Kqe9QEY).
- Engage attendees with an exciting, interactive program.
- Recognize the accomplishments and growth of members.
- Create a fun atmosphere.
- Involve as many members as possible.
- Aug. 8 and 15, 2013 – Small Business of the Year Award Nomination emails
- Aug. 5 – Sept. 2, 2013 – Blurbs ran in weekly newsletter, e-Connection
- Aug./Sept. 2013 – Facebook posts about Small Business of the Year nominations & event registration
- Aug. 7, 2013 – Save the Date postcard mailed
- Sept. 2, 2013 – Invitations mailed
- Sept. 17 and 25, 2013 – Emailed invitations
- Aug./Sept. 2013 – Decorations designed and created
- Sept./Oct. 2013 – Commerce Connection advertisement
- Oct. 3, 2013 – Press release announcing 2013 Small Business of the Year Winner
- Oct. 7, 2013 – “Thank You” email to membership about event and sponsors
- Oct. 9, 2013 – Survey membership about event for 2014 planning
- Nov./Dec. 2013 – Event recap in the Commerce Connection
The “Game Show” theme was used throughout all marketing and in decorations at the 2013 Chamber Annual Meeting. Print and electronic communications were used to ensure all target audiences were reached.
- Net profit of $2,702.62 was more than double what was generated the previous year. Historically, the annual meeting was budgeted at a loss.
- Total attendees were 276, an increase of five percent.
- We created a video, the “Chamber Trivia Game Show!” featuring 10 chamber members, each answering a question about their place of business. Attendees were given an answer card to fill out during the video and those who answered all 10 questions correctly were entered in a grand prize drawing.
- The keynote speaker also was the game show host for the event. He circulated through the crowd engaging attendees.
- There was laughter throughout the program and we heard many positive comments over the weeks that followed how impressive the event was.
- A wide variety of members participated. We had three event sponsors, 13 members who purchased an entire table and 18 businesses that donated more than 55 prizes.
- We educated our members about the local economy, area businesses and the positive impact of business and the Chamber through an interactive, fun program.
Link to video