Buy Local Initiatives
In many communities, Buy Local initiatives and campaigns are increasing in momentum. Support for Small Business
and buying local programs often go hand-in-hand. The Small Business Saturday
movement, held the Saturday after Thanksgiving, is another way to support local businesses. The term "Buy Local" is fairly broad and each community may determine their own policies and guidelines for determining this definition. The Think Local
campaign by the Lancaster Chamber of Commerce & Industry (Pa.)
lists the advantages of local purchasing, demonstrating that:
- More money stays in the community.
- Local jobs are created and sustained.
- The local community and economy are strengthened.
- Quality of life is improved.
- Customer service is enhanced.
Buy Local Resources
Buy Local Impact - Research and Surveys
FAQ I would like to see examples of retail market studies.
- B2B Shop Local Project - A report prepared for the Champaign County Chamber of Commerce (Ill.) that analyzes and evaluates the purchasing behavior of local businesses in the area, as well as the community impact of B2B Shop Local programs.
- Key Studies: Why Local Matters - Listed are summaries and links to key studies that examine the impact of large retail chains and the benefits of locally owned businesses, compiled by Institute for Local Self-Reliance (ILSR).
- The Multiplier Effect of Local Independent Businesses - Data compiled by American Independent Business Alliance (AMIBA)
- Real Value of Joining a Local Chamber of Commerce (December 2012, Schapiro Group) - A 2012 study of 2000 consumers demonstrating that consumers are more likely to buy from local businesses who are members of their chambers. (Find marketing materials related to the Schapiro Study on ACCE's Additional Research page)
- Think Global, Buy Local: This study looks at the impact of buying local produce on local economies - article from FoodTank cites "Linkages Between Community-Focused Agriculture, Farm Sales, and Regional Growth" from Economic Development Quarterly (October 2013).
Buy Local Chamber Initiatives
See award winning Buy Local Campaign samples
See all Buy Local Initiatives samples
- American Express Shop Small Movement - Includes Small Business Saturday resources
- BoonYah - A mobile app that combines customer acquisition, loyalty, and retention strategies and encourages "Buy Local" efforts with a rewards program.
- Conpoto - Offers a cloud-based gift certificate program with the goal of helping chambers with their "Buy Local" efforts.
Related Chamberpedia Topics
| Economic and Community Development
| Buy Local InitiativesLast Updated: 6/26/2018