Communicating the value of chambers to members, prospects, the media or government officials is an important responsibility for all chamber staff. It’s easy to list chamber events and the benefits of membership, but explaining practical values of chamber membership takes more effort. For example, instead of listing the networking events your chamber offers, focus on actual value to be gained by the member: "At one Business After Hours event, which costs only $15, you’ll meet 200 potential clients in one hour." Instead of talking about the chamber as a business advocate, tell the business owner: "The Chamber's monthly breakfast with local legislators allows you to talk face-to-face with decision makers about issues that impact your business." The links below offer ideas, advice, and examples for how to communicate the value of your chamber.
Reports & Publications
Examples of Chambers Communicating Value
- Top Ten Reasons to Join the Chamber - The Greater Greer Chamber (S.C.) lists benefits of linking the chamber and area business to strengthen the community.
- Reasons to Join - The Glenwood Springs (CO) Chamber Resort Association lists 5 reasons to join, shared through personal video interviews.
- Community Impact Report - The Greater Reston (VA) Chamber's Community Impact Report illustrates the positive impact the Chamber has made on business and the community as a whole.
- It's About Time - This document from the Lebanon Valley Chamber of Commerce describes what your chamber membership gives you even if you have little or no time.
- I've Joined a Chamber - Now What? Measuring Your ROI - This checklist from Wake Forest Area Chamber of Commerce can be used to ensure that a Chamber member is getting the highest ROI for their membership value, with checklist items for 30, 60, 90, 120, and 180 days.
- Krawczak Formula for Member Retention - Telling your story is one of the key ways that Jaclynn Krawczak has communicated value and maintained a renewal rate of 95 percent or higher during her nine-year stint as Alpena Area Chamber of Commerce President and CEO.
- Member Benefits - This sample from the Roanoke Regional Chamber of Commerce outlines the many benefits of Chamber membership, including exposure, information, and cost savings,
- Member Handbook and Benefits Guide 2014 - This guide from the Manatee Chamber of Commerce provides an extensive list of programs, initiatives and benefits available to members, as well as opportunities to become involved in the chamber.
- Not Your Grandfather’s Chamber - This article, published in The Sheboygan Press, promotes the value of membership in the Sheboygan County Chamber of Commerce.
- ROI Calculator - This worksheet from the Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber enables a business to calculate the value of chamber membership.
- Ten Reasons Why You Need to Join the Chamber Right Now - This article, which appeared in the August/September 2015 issue of Positively Superior, promotes the value of membership in the Superior-Douglas County Area Chamber.
- Top 10 Reasons to Invest in Your Chamber - This document from The Perry Chamber of Commerce lists the top 10 reasons to invest in your own chamber. Also included is a brief summation of the return on your investments.
- Value of Chamber Membership - The Fort Collins Area Chamber of Commerce offers examples of the value of chamber membership with specific results that impact chamber members and the community.
- "What is the Chamber Doing For You?" - The Chamber of Commerce Mountain View (CA) communicates the value of chamber membership in this 2 min. YouTube video.
- Working for You in 2014 - This publication from the Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce provides an overview of the value on investment in the chamber. The piece focuses on the big picture role of the chamber.
Articles & Blog Posts
- Magicians of Main Street, by Max Neal, Director of the Lamoille Region Chamber, shares applications of chamber history to current programs, events, and chamber membership value (November 2015).
- 5 Tips to Personalize Communications for Membership Growth, Engagement & Retention, by Pam Sefrino, shares tips to personalize and segment target populations for specific engagement opportunities. WebLink (January 2017)
- I have a Chamber of Commerce Membership, Now what?, by Yanik Ottenbreit via LinkedIn article, extolls the benefits of being a chamber member. (November 2016)
- Communicating The Value Of A Chamber Sponsorship In Six Easy Steps, by Michelle West, ChamberSpeak describes ways to "get through to your members" (2016).
- Should I Join The Chamber?, by Steve Boehle, who describes the ROI for joining his local chamber of commerce as a member (October 2015).
- Communicating Value Starts and Ends with this One Word - Blog post on the value of listening to members from the Institute for Organization Management (IOM), a program of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation (2015).
- Top Twenty Tips to Grow Your Business for 2014, by Cathi Hight. Includes time management, marketing, and customer service suggestions.
- Stop Making Noise, by Mick Fleming, Chamber Executive magazine, Spring/Summer 2013.
- The New Motto: Access, Resources and Solution to Members, by Cathi Hight. Communicating value to a diverse membership base starts with an understanding of both members and prospects, what's important to them, and how the chamber can meet their needs (2013).
- 15 Ideas to Provide More Value For Your Chamber of Commerce Members - This list from Your Membership says: "Make it easy. Spell it out. ROI should not be an impersonal equation. There's plenty of room in the calculation for the human factor, and that's how you'll get them to stay" (2013).
- Are You Winning the Fight For Relevance?, by Cathi Hight. Explores what it means to be relevant to current and prospective members, and presents some important trends for consideration (2012).
- Maximize Local SEO (Search Engine Optimization) - Join the Chamber! - Blog post by Mary Gammel (2012).
- Move from ROI to VOI, by Cathi Hight who recommends defining membership benefits in terms of "value on investment," and suggests ways of communicating this (2012).
- Communicating Value with Every Contact by Jacqui Olkin - This article shares an approach to customer communications that can help position you and your business as relevant, timely, and valuable (2011).
- Value Propositions: Moving from ROI to VOI, by Cathi Hight, Chamber Executive magazine, Spring 2011. Explains the importance to chambers of expressing value propositions in terms of VOI and communicating benefits that go beyond a monetary exchange.
- Are You Effectively Communicating Your Value?, by Ben Wolf, Chamber Executive magazine (Summer 2009).
- Telling the Chamber Story, by Cathy Lada, Chamber Executive magazine (May/June 2005).
- Make Chamber Discounts and Savings More Noticeable - Blog post by Christina Green on FrankJKenny.com
- Should Chambers Promote Nonmembers? - Blog post by Christina Green on FrankJKenny.com
- The Tricky Things About Value and Chamber Members - Blog post by Christina Green on FrankJKenny.com
Videos, Webinars & ACCE U Resources
Convention & Seminar Resources
| Communications and Marketing
| Membership Management
| Communicating ValueLast Updated: 11/9/2017