Disaster Preparedness and Recovery
More than 200 million people are affected by disasters each year. Statistics show that one in four small businesses will experience a disruptive natural disaster and, of those, 43% won’t recover. Take steps to be prepared at your chamber and in your community. ACCE has compiled toolkits, guides, and chamber examples to help you prepare for and recover from emergencies and disasters. Having a plan of action will help you recover quicker and empower greater resiliency. Be ready before an event happens.
ACCE's Disaster Experts
Click here for a list of ACCE chamber member Disaster Recovery Subject Matter Experts
(SMEs) who are willing and able to share their disaster recovery experiences.
Toolkits & Guides
Highlighted Chamber Recovery Examples
U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation Disaster Resources
- Disaster Help Desk for Business - Launched in 2007 by the U.S. Chamber for small businesses and local chambers of commerce to provide preparedness/continuity advice and to guide disaster-affected organizations through the steps of recovery and re-opening. Reach the Help Desk by Phone: 888-MY BIZ HELP / 888-692-4943 and through social media tools. The Help Desk coordinates information among businesses, local chambers of commerce, NGOs, government responders, and disaster recovery specialists and is made possible by the leadership and generous support of the Office Depot Foundation.
- Disaster Preparedness and Recovery Quick Guides - Designed to help both local chambers of commerce and local businesses prepare for and recover from disasters.
- Disaster Response and Community Resilience - The Corporate Citizenship Center's Disaster Response and Community Resilience Program is committed to improving the efficacy of business philanthropy in disasters, breaking down information and coordination barriers between sectors, and highlighting the unique work of corporate citizens in the field.
- Disaster Response Tools - Articles and content on disaster response actions.
- The Role of Business in Disaster Response - U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation Report (2012).
International Economic Development Council (IEDC) Disaster Preparedness and Recovery Resources
Chamber Recovery Samples
Articles & Blog Posts
- From ACCE's Chamber Executive Magazine:
- ACCE's Blog Posts:
- Additional Articles & Posts:
Recovery Tools and Resources
- 50 Fantastic Fire Science Resources - List of agency links from FireScienceOnline
- Can Your Organization Survive a Natural Disaster? - Boston University infographic
- Census Bureau's OnTheMap is a public data tool that provides an intuitive web-based interface for viewing the potential effects of disasters on the U.S. workforce and population. Retrieve reports containing detailed workforce, population, and housing characteristics for hurricanes, floods, wildfires, winter storms, and federal disaster declaration areas.
- Creating a Disaster Recovery Plan - National Small Business Association
- Disaster Assistance and Emergency Relief for Individuals and Businesses - IRS
- DisasterAssistance.gov - Find out what federal aid is available for you and your members and apply online.
- Disaster Planning from GrantSpace.org - Knowledge Base with resources to learn more about disaster planning for nonprofits.
- Disaster Preparedness Social Media Checklist - Epiphanies, Inc.
- DisasterReady.org - Open online learning community that provides humanitarian aid workers with free access to more than 400 state-of-the-art e-learning courses and other training resources covering all aspects of humanitarian aid and disaster relief.
- FEMA Resources:
- Insurance Office of America (IOA)
- Microsoft resources:
- National Center for Disaster Preparedness from Columbia University
- Ready.Gov for Businesses - Plan for, protect your business, and prepare for the impact of hazards that business owner's face in today’s world including natural, human, and technology-related hazards. See the Business Continuity Plan Template.
- ReadyConnect is a disaster preparation, communication, and recovery system offering easy-to-use toolkits for chambers of commerce and their business members.
- U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) Emergency Preparedness and Disaster Assistance
Disaster Recovery Projects (International)
The projects listed below are all past winners of the World Chambers Federation's World Chambers Competition. Each of these chambers launched their projects following major natural disasters which affected their respective areas. Project descriptions listed as they are presented on the World Chambers Federation's website under "Past Winners."
Additional international recovery stories:
Grants and Loans
Convention & Seminar Resources
- Preparing for the Worst, from the 2015 ACCE Annual Convention:
- Joplin, Missouri Says Thank You (YouTube video) - On May 22, 2011, Joplin Missouri was hit by the deadliest tornado since 1947. Since the first volunteers arrived in Joplin the evening of May 22, 2011, nearly 1.5 million hours of volunteer service have been reported in Joplin. This video says "thank you" to all of the volunteers, first responders, government organizations, disaster recovery professionals and companies that have helped rebuild Joplin.
Related Chamberpedia Topics
| Disaster Preparedness & RecoveryLast Updated: 7/2/2017