Grants and Contracts
Federal grant and contract money can be another viable source of chamber income. However, seeking and securing these funds can be time consuming and expensive. The acquisitions process is typically heavy in administration. Once an agreement is reached, a chamber must be diligent in avoiding conflicts of interest with the government agency. However, many believe that the benefits outweigh the risks. Grants and contracts can provide funds that greatly accelerate community development in areas such as tourism, infrastructure, business and other special projects.
- ACCE Chamber Revenue Models Whitepaper (link to full paper here), published December 2013
External Grant Resources & Databases
- Commerce.gov - A listing of government organization's grant and contract links.
- Foundation Center - Foundation Center is the leading source of information about philanthropy worldwide.
- Grants.gov - Grants.gov is the centralized place to find and apply for federal grants.
- Grants Scorecard - Grant application readiness checklist from Colorado Grants.
- GrantStation - GrantStation.com, Inc. is a for-profit service that offers nonprofit organizations, educational institutions, and government agencies the opportunity to identify potential funding sources for their programs or projects as well as resources to mentor these organizations through the grantseeking process.
- Small Business Administration Loans & Grants - Resources and directories on finding grants.
- Local resources: Check with your local public or college library for access to grants databases. Libraries often have grant writing and management classes and larger public libraries may have a Business Librarian on staff who can provide individual reference assistance or may teach grant writing classes.
Disaster-Related Grants and Loans
Individual Grants for Chambers and 501(c)(6) organizations
Know of other grants for 501(c)(6) chambers of commerce? Tell us about it! HERO@acce.org
- Federal Grant and Contract News for Nonprofits, from Venable LLP
- Back to School, by Katherine House, Chamber Executive magazine (Summer 2014) - How One Chamber Changed a School System—and Students’ Lives through this grant-funded charter school initiative
- News for Federal Grant Recipients: Super Circular Guidance and Monitoring Considerations - From Venable LLP's newsletter on federal grant & contract news for nonprofits (July 2014)
- The Kentucky Model, by Jessie Azrilian, Chamber Executive magazine (Winter 2014) - Business and Education Unite to Prepare Students for College and Career Success with foundation and grant support.
- The Wright Way to Restore a Hotel and Revive a City, Chamber Executive magazine (Winter 2013)
- After the Headlines series, Chamber Executive magazine (Fall 2011)
- Grants and Federal Contracts Requirements: Strict, Complex, Specific, by Rebecca E. Pearson, Esq., Chamber Executive magazine (July/August 2006)
- Government Money: Gift or Gift Horse?, by Patricia Lee, Chamber Executive magazine (July/August 2006)
- Grant's Anatomy, by Gail Vertz, Chamber Executive magazine (July/August 2005)
ACCE University Webinars
Related Chamberpedia Topics
| Non-Dues Revenue
| Grants & ContractsLast Updated: 11/26/2017