Hiring and Assessing
Chambers of commerce, like all other businesses and nonprofits, seek (and sometimes struggle) to attract and retain top talent. There are several steps in this process to consider, and perhaps rethink, including promoting your chamber as a great place to work; creating thorough and informative position descriptions; meeting with candidates, often multiple times; and, once you've settled on the right person for the job, providing a challenging and supportive workplace and a consistent, equitable framework for assessing performance.
ACCE's JobWatch Service
- Use ACCE's JobWatch service for employers and job seekers to help fulfill staffing needs.
ACCE Benchmarking and Salary Survey
ACCE's Samples Library
Articles & Online Resources
- Staffing Challenges for Nonprofits in 2018 - Article by Associations Now describes the PNP Staffing Group released the findings of its annual report on staffing trends and salaries in the nonprofit sector. While groups plan on hiring more staff in 2018, the report says competition for talent is greater than ever.(11/22/2017)
- Nonprofit Hiring Toolkit from Bridgespan - Explores important steps to the hiring process that, when done well and thoroughly, will help you find and hire the best talent for your open positions.
- What Attracts the Best Employees to a Company? - By Brandon Rigoni and Bailey Nelson, Gallup Business (2/16/2016). To build a highly talented workforce, companies need a compelling employee value proposition.
- Know Before You Hire: 2016 Employment Screening Trends - SHRM guide to conducting pre-employment background checks (1/20/2016)
- You'll Never Accomplish Goals You Don't Really Care About - by Dixie Gillaspie, Entrepreneur (1/8/2016). People who regularly write down their goals earn nine times as much over their lifetimes as the people who don't. Yet 80 percent of Americans say they don't have goals, and 16 percent do have goals don't write them down.
- The First 90 days: Help new employees start out on the right foot (infographic) from HR Magazine
- Negotiating Your Salary? Don't Forget to Ask for Employee Benefits - Article by Kristen Pope in Brazen (7/20/2015) gives a list of benefit options for both employers and employees to consider.
- Avoid Hiring Mistakes: Oops! Too Late; Now What?, from Venable LLP (3/18/2015)
- The Definitive Guide to Onboarding - Everything you need to know to onboard like a pro, from BambooHR (2014)
- ACCE QuickPoll on The Chamber Professional (November 2014)
- Guideposts to Focus on Recruitment - by Dessa Augsburger, Columbus Chamber (2/5/2014)
Small Business Hiring
Videos, Webinars, and ACCE U Resources
ACCE’s Partner Resources from Insperity
| Human Resources
| Hiring and AssessingLast Updated: 11/30/2017