Many chambers have involved themselves in global trade and outreach efforts on behalf of their members and communities, beginning with document certification programs and extending into conferences, consulting, and partnerships with the World Trade Centers Association
- Marketing Delivers Membership ROI in Texas, by Aaron Cox and Chris Wallace, Chamber Executive magazine (Fall 2016)
- Taking Charleston Businesses Global, by Ian Scott, Chamber Executive magazine (Fall 2016)
- Global Impacts - The volatility of the global stage will increase over the next 10 years. But the world is composed of regions, cities, communities and neighborhoods, each with a meaningful role to play on the new international stage. As representatives of those places, chambers will evolve rapidly to address the opportunities and uncertainty of the ever-shrinking world. From the Horizon Initiative: Chambers 2025 issue of Chamber Executive magazine (Spring 2015)
- Merchants of Peace, an historical look by Chris Mead at the role of chambers of commerce in international trade from Chamber Executive magazine (Summer 2014).
Award-Winning Chamber Examples
- Board of Trade of Metropolitan Montrealís International web portal provides information about export assistance, free consulting, international trade missions, and business opportunities. The site is organized by activity type and market and discusses two major initiatives:
- Buffalo Niagara Partnership hosts CanAm Council composed of member companies engaged in cross-border commerce.
- Global Commerce portal from the Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce (S.C.) is an export support program connecting members to research, planning and training resources.
- Chicagoland Chamber International Programs and Global Connections Council offers workshops, seminars, educational forums and networking opportunities to help chamber members make international connections and gain access to global markets and resources.
- Greater Houston Partnership has an International Investment and Trade team that provides services related to investment in Houston and trade development.
- Greater Spokane Incorporatedís International Trade Development Department offers a variety of resources, including counseling, networking, and workshops, to businesses interested in expanding their reach overseas.
- Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce (Mo.) is a partner in two programs:
- World Trade Center Kansas City offers education, networking, and research.
- KC Rising develops strategies for accelerating the regionís economic growth and ensuring its continued competitiveness in the global economy
- Los Angeles Area Chamber hosts a Global Initiatives Council and offers a number of initiatives to advance global trade.
- Metro Atlanta Chamberís Global Commerce Portal and Global Business Growth team helps local businesses establish or increase a presence in overseas markets and recruits foreign companies to the Atlanta area.
- Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerceís International Trade page lists the services and resources the chamber provides in this area, including export compliance and information about small business grants for international trade activities.
- Ontario Chamber of Commerceís Global Growth Fund offers support to small and medium-sized businesses interested in exporting, including access to training and expertise as they develop and execute export market access strategies for their products and services.
- San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce's International Business Affairs council is an advocacy arm focusing on enhancing the cross-border relationship and on providing assistance to businesses interested in foreign markets.
- Winnipeg Chamber provides businesses with access to a variety of trade services, including document certification, via its World Trade Center Winnipeg Initiative.
- World Trade Centers Association Resources
Reports and Publications
- Charlotte's Foreign Firms: An International Review is a 32-page publication that promotes Charlotte as an ideal U.S. location for foreign-owned businesses, and includes a directory of foreign firms in the Charlotte region.
- Greater Des Moines Partnership:
- Import/Export Activity Survey can be used to identify the international activities of member businesses.
- Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce offers two monthly publications related to international trade:
- Metro Charleston Export Initiative: Boosting Our Regional Prosperity is a July 2013 report published by the Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce, in conjunction with World Trade Center Charleston. The document is a plan from the two organizations to emphasize exports as a means of fueling the region's economic growth.
- A multitude of research, statistics and data analysis can be found on the International Trade Administration website, which provides annual and quarterly trade data that can customized (e.g., by state of origin and international destinations):
- Mobile Area Chamber of Commerce provides Alabama export statistics on its International Trade page. The chamber also provides access to international trade publications from the Alabama Department of Commerce, as well as other services and information related to international trade.
- Trade Supports Jobs - This U.S. Chamber of Commerce page provides statistics, charts and graphs regarding the economic impact of global trade in each state, as well as links to the current topics in international trade.
Federal Government International Trade Resources
The U.S. government offers a great deal of online resources, both to inform the public about global trade (through charts, graphs, data and reports) and to assist U.S. businesses who wish to export overseas.
Convention & Seminar Resources
- Tapping the Global Marketplace - Presentation from the 2016 ACCE Annual Convention by Pennie Bingham, IOM, Executive Director, World Trade Center Charleston; and Bryan Derreberry, President & CEO, Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce (S.C.).
- Helping Your Members To Go International...and Make Money With It! - Presentation from the 2015 ACCE Annual Convention by Georges Fischer, Director - International Networks and Partnerships, Greater Paris Regional Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Chairman, World Chambers Network
- The Corporate Faces of International Trade - Presentation from the 2015 ACCE Annual Convention by Birgit Matthiesen, Director, Canada-U.S. Cross Border Business Affairs, Arent Fox LLP
Videos, Webinars & ACCE U Resources
Related Chamberpedia Topics
| Economic and Community Development
| International TradeLast Updated: 7/12/2017