Business engagement in education can give voice to what skills students will need to succeed in the 21st Century workforce and help put them on track to a successful future. Chambers of Commerce have facilitated partnerships with high schools, community and trade colleges, and industry leaders to provide access to education, training and work-based learning opportunities that engage K-12 students. The goal is to prepare them for high-skilled, high-wage employment in fulfilling careers of their choice. From classroom projects, job shadowing, to competitions, chambers have helped businesses bring a real-world perspective to community schools.
ACCE Case Study Work-Based Learning: A Tool for Student Success
– An in-depth exploration on how three chambers are using interactive techniques to provide deeper learning opportunities to students.
ACCE Case Study Paving Pathways to College and Career
– An in-depth exploration on how four chambers create partnerships to bridge education and business communities in order to prepare students for success in the workforce.
- The Chamber of Commerce for Greater Philadelphia urged members of the Philadelphia City Council’s Education Committee to support the expansion of career and technical education (CTE) programs at city schools.
- Charlotte Chamber of Commerce’s (N.C.) Charlotte Works program has an online career exploration tool. The tool represents the five fastest growing industries in Charlotte and provides detailed profile of the work, salary range, and skills and education needed for each.
- The Dallas Regional Chamber has worked with regional partners who serve their business community, and local students, to improve educational outcomes in order to sustain a highly trained workforce for the future. In order to address the issue at hand, the Dallas Regional Chamber created a “Pick Your Path” tool that helps students and parents understand the Texas Foundation High School Program and the Endorsement options, as well as the choices and responsibilities students have. Additionally, they also created a “Follow Your Pipeline” tool to guide students in planning their education and career pathway as they pursue Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math (STEAM) Careers. See also the Workplace Roundtables Outcomes Report here.
- Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce's (Mich.) TeenQuest service is a free afterschool pre-employment and leadership training program. The program was a finalist for ACCE's 2015 Regional Innovation Award.
- Granbury Chamber of Commerce (Texas) partnered with Granbury Independent School District (GISD) and has been the presenting sponsor for their Formula 1 in Schools program since its inception. Granbury High School (GHS) is in the top tier of districts their size or larger in Career and Technical Education (CTE). 90% of the GHS students take at least one CTE class and 40% are fully engaged in a certificate granting curriculum such as nursing or culinary arts. The Business Education Success Team (BEST) partners with the chamber, GISD, and local business partners to develop activities to meet student needs.
- JAX Chamber (Fla.) champions various Career Academies that focus on providing students with the technical skills needed in the area’s most high demand industries.
- Kingsport Chamber (Tenn.) is a primary partner in organizing annual 8th and 11th Grade Career Expos. The expos include discussions with area businesses and colleges about career choices, presentations on professional development, and even a real-time, interactive “Game of Life.”
- Michigan West Coast Chamber partners with area high schools and businesses to produce various Future Prep programs, aimed at assisting high school students in exploring careers in the community.
- Future Prep Connections pairs students from seven school districts and six local companies in a career exploration deep dive.
- Future Prep Academy takes the Connections program one step further, giving selected students hand’s on experience alongside the opportunity to earn high school credit and articulated college credit.
Teaching the Teachers: Support for Educators
ACCE Case Study Empowering Educators to Enable Deeper Learning
– An in-depth exploration on how four chambers are helping teachers tie academics to 21st century jobs.
Engaging Members to Support K-12 Education
Articles & Research
From Chamber Executive
magazine - K-12 Education: Real-World Relevance
Webinars & Presentations
| Education and Workforce Development
| K-12 EducationLast Updated: 7/18/2018