New Member Orientations can provide members with leadership, advocacy, networking, involvement and professional development, meeting the chamber staff and other new members, showcasing resources, and learning the benefits of chamber membership.
Orientation - Chamber 101 & New Member Info Packets
from chambers of commerce (some of these ideas were generated from the New Member Packs LinkedIn thread
- Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce:
- Welcome Note for New Member - Asheville hosts an Orientation & Open House, held 3 times per year. They invite new, current and prospective members to attend the event and learn about the benefits of Chamber membership, Economic Development and their Convention & Visitor’s Bureau. They also send each new member a welcome letter, highlighting member benefits. The Chamber's member services staff usually modifies the letter to fit the new member.
- Bedford Area Chamber of Commerce:
- Sends a welcome letter, Window Sticker, Calendar of Events/Upcoming Events Flyer, and Benefits Reminder flyer. A Chamber Ambassador delivers a Welcome Wagon packet to new members within the first month of joining. These packets contain flyers & promotional items from other members to welcome the new member but to also help current members promote themselves.
- Billings Chamber
- The "101" program invitation is sent to new members who joined within the last 9 months and the meetings happen every other month. During the Program Presentation, members receive the Benefits Overview and are treated to breakfast. Chamber Ambassadors share their ROI stories and the program includes networking and socializing time.
- Cape Cod Canal Region Chamber:
- Sends a New Member welcome letter, free coupons for Business After Hours, and "Ask the Chamber" booklet which outlines everything the Chamber does and includes opportunities for new members. The Chamber also assign a "Mentor" (same as Ambassador) to every new member.
- Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce:
- Sends a letter, a retention team member's business card along with a hand-written thank you note from the retention team member, a piece containing dates for all upcoming Chamber 101s and 102s, information on our Affinity Program, letter from the Young Professionals Director with directions for signing up YPs, if applicable, an ROI piece (sample from April 2014) that is updated monthly, and invitations for upcoming programming that are applicable to member's goals for joining.
- Columbia (MO) Chamber of Commerce:
- Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce:
- Chamber 101 overview on their site orients members to programs, events, and member benefits.
- Glenwood Springs Chamber Resort Association
- Grand Rapids Area Chamber of Commerce:
- Provides a New Member Welcome Kit and begins with a welcome letter from the President/CEO. New members also receive a welcome email from our Membership Coordinator with new member info (checklist of what to accomplish, benefit programs, etc.). The week after they join, members receive a call from one of Ambassadors who will schedule a meeting to deliver their window sticker, review the newsletter and upcoming events. This chamber has found that the peer-to-peer meeting with an Ambassador is very valuable for new members.
- Grapevine Chamber of Commerce:
- Greater Boerne Chamber of Commerce:
- Sends a letter along with the Chamber decal, a complimentary ticket to a networking breakfast and/or luncheon. Packets are only mailed to new members that are out of town. The Director of Membership personally visits and drops off the packet if the business is local. It is a good way to meet the owners, see the business and learn more about the business.
- Longview Chamber of Commerce:
- North Country Chamber of Commerce:
- Sends a welcome letter, Business Directory, Commerce Cards (member2member discount), other Discount programs, Window Sticker, invitation to next Business After Hours as our guest, newsletter, and any other info on upcoming events or programs. The local ones are delivered in person by a Chamber Ambassador.
- Schuylkill Chamber of Commerce:
- Provides a binder with a welcome letter and tips on how to get involved with the Chamber. It is also full of information on networking opportunities, events, leadership programs, advertising and lots more. Stuffed inside is also their Quality of Life publication, Business to Business Directory, Membership Plaque and window cling. Also included are the business cards of all of the staff members. The chamber also holds a quarterly Member Orientation presentation that is geared to the entire membership base and sends out a special invitation to all new members in the prior months.
- Their Welcome Binder is called "New Member Book" and organized by section all in a 3 ring binder. Sections include:
- Welcome – Letter and handout sheet on Getting More From Your Chamber Membership
- For Members Only – Discount Programs and Services exclusive to Chamber members and Business Resources
- Involvement – Info on committees as well as a form to fax or mail
- Advertising-Promotion – Info on advertising in monthly newsletter, FREE advertising in Weekend Update (Email blast), Member-2-Member Program, Special Publications, Events, Online Directory
- Leadership – Info on Schuylkill Leadership Class and Schuylkill Executive Leadership
- Publication – The member directory is punched and put here. Also on the inside flaps of the binder are special publications – map, quality of life, business-to-Business Directory, Newsletter
- Stillwater Chamber of Commerce:
- Sends out a welcome packet that includes their annual publication, window cling, welcome letter, and ways to utilize their partnership along with an events postcard of upcoming programs. They also host a new member orientation on a quarterly basis.
Additional Orientation Examples & Guides
- 3 Mistakes We Make with Welcome Emails - Blog Post by Cathi Hight, Hight Peformance Group (September 2017)
- Timeline: First-Year Retention Plan - A timeline of actions from the Fort Collins Area Chamber of Commerce to keep new chamber members happy and appreciated over the course of their first year as a member.
- Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce New Member Orientation - Provides their New Member Orientation presentation to download as PDF, PowerPoint, or as a GoogleDoc.
- Family Feud Member Orientation - The Glenwood Springs (CO) Chamber's member orientation presentation has a fun and educational Family Feud Game Show theme.
- It's About Time - Marketing piece from the Lebanon Valley Chamber of Commerce answers the question: "What can chamber membership offer me if I have little or no time to participate?"
- Longview Chamber Member Retention Plan - This membership retention plan has multiple components, including timelines and actions for both new members, all members, longstanding members, and the largest investors. Retention history and goals are stated as well.
- Member Retention Script - This is a script from the Longview Chamber for retention calls that can be modified for your chamber and for specific member interests. It includes a number of questions to gauge members' opinions on the economy and their outlook for their businesses, as well as to build awareness of chamber services.
- Moore County Membership Orientation presentation - This PowerPoint presentation orients a new member or potential member to the Moore County Chamber of Commerce. It includes information on the mission, vision, chamber history, structure, partnerships, events, networking opportunities, educational offerings, and more.
- New Member Luncheon - Example from the Olathe Chamber's New Member Luncheon event announcement. The chamber provides the lunch to new members and explains the member benefits so new members can get the most out of their chamber membership.
- View additional New Member examples from ACCE's Samples Library.
Chamber Orientation Videos
Webinars & ACCE U Resources
Related Chamberpedia Topics
Additional resources continue to be added. Have an example to share? Email us at HERO@acce.org
to tell us.Last Updated: 9/8/2017 Chamberpedia Home
| Events and Programs
| Membership Management
| Membership Orientation