Membership Recruitment is an essential part of Membership Management
, and like Membership Retention
, is part of the Membership Sales
process where Communicating Value
and sharing ROI are intertwined and go hand-in-hand.
- Download Membership Statistics from ACCE's Operations Survey
- Participate in ACCE's Operations Survey now available 24/7 through Dynamic Chamber Benchmarking and access free, customized reports for your chamber, including the Membership Statistics report and comparisons, showing retention, market penetration, and calculations of dues investment, revenue per member, tiered dues information and more. Results are shown with your chamber's percentile compared to the 25th, 50th, and 75th percentiles.
- 2016 Membership Marketing Benchmarking Report from Marketing General Incorporated provides survey results in this study that help analyze and track strategies and tactics that membership organizations use to recruit new members, engage and renew those members, and reinstate lapsed members.
- ACCE's Chamber Revenue Models Whitepaper - How Membership Management fits in with revenue models and translates into revenue streams for your chamber (December 2013)
Award-Winning Membership Recruitment Programs
More Chamber Recruitment Programs
Award-Winning Membership Recruitment Brochures
Additional Examples of Recruitment Brochures and Letters
Recruitment Programs in Action
- Recruitment and Retention ideas such as retention-focused events (reach out to current members and keep them as current members); Retention Committees; Operation Thank you's (The Nacogdoches County Chamber (TX) annually conducts "Operation Thank You" where the staff hand-deliver new publications and seek a conversation with members who are not always the networkers. The personal touch goes a long way.)
- Mentors for New Businesses - When the Community Development Foundation (CDF) of Tupelo/Lee County (MS) learned that several start–up or fledgling businesses could not afford their Business Partners dues, the staff and board came up with an ideal solution. They asked members in good standing to sponsor/mentor a new, fledgling business for chamber membership for one year, at a cost of $350. Under this program, the sponsors receive recognition in the CDF e-newsletter and at board meetings, and the sponsored business is given all rights and privileges of membership for that year. In many cases the new businesses are mentored by their sponsors, and some have become clients and vendors for those businesses. Both experienced and new businesses are kept engaged and involved in the chamber and appreciate the additional opportunities for networking.
- "Taste the Chamber" luncheon - The Eden Prairie Chamber (MN) hosts this luncheon event at a restaurant and provides lunch for free in exchange for watching a 20-30 minute presentation. At the end of the presentation, non-members are asked to join. Ambassadors (and anyone else) can bring along prospects to learn about the chamber and enjoy a free lunch. Anyone who brings a prospect who ends up joining and listing them as the referral gets $100 cash! See the full discussion of ideas on this LinkedIn Thread.
- Key items - members can only attend if they bring a non-member guest (although the chamber hand-selects 4 members to give testimonials and also get Board members there). At the end of the presentation, the chamber ALWAYS has special benefits to join that day and that day only - waive initiation fee, get free lunch passes etc. You don't want them to say they need to think about it!
- Success - The chamber runs the event twice a year. Each one usually draws 60 non-members and about 20 members (room is sold out and full of energy!) and they usually get 20-24 new members each time - so close to 50 a year from this. Total revenue for us in dues is about $12,000 versus about $2,000 in food costs and maybe another $2,000 - $2500 in referral dollars. The chamber also gets new prospects from this that will potentially join in the future.
- See also Ambassador Programs
Articles & Books
Convention & Seminar Resources
- Keeping a Strong and Relevant Membership Pipeline - Presentation handout from Shari Pash, Strategic Solutions for Growth, from the 2016 ACCE Annual Convention.
- Membership Growth Top 10 - Presentation handout from Shari Pash, Strategic Solutions for Growth, from the 2015 ACCE Annual Convention.
- Recruitment & Retention for a Strong Membership from the 2015 ACCE National Sales Training
- 2014 Economic Development & Membership Track Pack (6 Sessions) from the 2014 ACCE Annual Convention, available for purchase through the ACCE Store, includes tracks on:
- Segmenting the Small Business Market
- Sustainable Membership Growth
- Growing Diverse Businesses
- See also Growing Diverse Businesses - Presentation by Crystal German, Vice President, Economic Inclusion, Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber (OH) and Nika White, Vice President, Diversity & Inclusion, Greenville Chamber of Commerce (SC)
- Collective Impact: A Powerful Framework for Transformative Change in Communities
- Quality of Place as an Economic Driver
- See also Quality of Place as an Economic Driver - Presentation by David Brown, President and CEO, Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce (NE); Brad Lacy, President & CEO, Conway Area Chamber (AR); and J. Mac Holladay, CCE, PCED, LM, HLM, Founder and CEO, Market Street Services
- Tapping the Entrepreneurial Culture
- See also Tapping the Entrepreneurial Culture - Presentation by Michael Dalby, CCE, President and CEO, Columbus Chamber (OH); Sean Kennedy, Greenhouse Manager, St. Petersburg Area Chamber (FL); Penny Lewandowski, Vice President of Entrepreneurship, Edward Lowe Foundation; and Christa Tinsley Spaht, Senior Project Manager, Market Street Services
- Membership Development Track Pack (6 Sessions) from the 2013 ACCE Annual Convention, available for purchase through the ACCE Store
- Retaining Members as You Grow: 25 Tips of Successful Membership Recruitment - e-course, part of the Live! Membership Sales Seminar Series: Denver 2012, which is available for purchase from the ACCE Store. The accompanying handout is free.
Videos, Webinars & ACCE U Resources
Related Chamberpedia Pages
| Membership Management
| Membership RecruitmentLast Updated: 11/9/2017