Member Retention involves excellent customer service, regular staff evaluations, communication with members, staff goal setting, watching trends, and engagement with members. Retention is an essential part of Membership Management
, and like Membership Recruitment
, is part of the Membership Sales
process where Communicating Value
and sharing ROI are intertwined and go hand-in-hand. Membership Orientation
starts all your members off on the right foot.
Standard Membership Formulas
- Retention = (Total number of member accounts last year - total number of cancelled member accounts current year) / Total number of member accounts last year
- Calculate Net Gain/Loss in % of New Member Dollars (current year) = (Dollar value of the total new member accounts current year - Dollar value of the total cancelled member accounts current year) / Dollar value of the chamber's total member accounts last year
- Calculate Net % Gain/Loss New Member Accounts (current year) = (Total new member accounts current year - Total number of cancelled member accounts current year) / Total number of member accounts last year
For more on membership calculations:
Statistics & Research
Participate in ACCE's Operations Survey by entering your chamber's data in Dynamic Chamber Benchmarking
- Access customized Membership Statistics reports showing retention, market penetration, and calculations of dues investment, revenue per member, tiered dues information and more.
Retention Programs in Action
- Operation Thank You - The Nacogdoches County Chamber (Texas) annually conducts "Operation Thank You" in which directors and volunteers are out and about town, hand-delivering the new directories, maps, and publications to as many Chamber members as possible.
- Ottawa chamber holds 97th annual appreciation dinner - The Ottawa Area Chamber of Commerce (Ohio) hosts an annual appreciation dinner. Local business awards and the 4 under 40 awards are presented, and winners receive a plaque and a letter of commendation for the secretary of state.
- See also Ambassador Programs
Sample Plans, Strategy & Surveys
See all Retention Samples
See Retention Plan Samples
See Member Outreach Samples
FAQ Do you have samples and guidance on Member Surveys?
Sample Renewal Letters
See all Renewal Notice Samples
Articles & Blog Postings
HIGHT See resources from chamber membership pro and consultant Cathi Hight
ACCE U See all recorded Membership webinars and Convention sessions
Related Chamberpedia Pages
| Membership Management
| Membership Sales
| Membership RetentionLast Updated: 6/18/2018