Membership Sales is the process of acquiring and maintaining member accounts. Membership Drives
, Membership Retention
and Membership Recruitment
are also important pieces of the Sales process. Some chambers have instituted Referral Programs
to provide incentives to grow membership. Additional Sales tools include Brochures & Marketing
ideas and Referral Programs
- Learn more about ACCE's Membership Development Division
- Download Membership Statistics from ACCE's Operations Survey
- Participate in ACCE's Operations Survey now available 24/7 through Dynamic Chamber Benchmarking and access free, customized reports for your chamber, including the Membership Statistics report and comparisons, showing retention, market penetration, and calculations of dues investment, revenue per member, tiered dues information and more. Results are shown with your chamber's percentile compared to the 25th, 50th, and 75th percentiles.
- 2016 Membership Marketing Benchmarking Report from Marketing General Incorporated provides survey results in this study that help analyze and track strategies and tactics that membership organizations use to recruit new members, engage and renew those members, and reinstate lapsed members.
- ACCE's Chamber Revenue Models Whitepaper - How Membership Management fits in with revenue models and translates into revenue streams for your chamber (December 2013)
Articles & Online Resources
- Tips for Success from the National Sales Conference - by Niccole Ferguson, Chamber Executive magazine (Spring 2016)
- How to Increase Your Sales Success - by John Spence, JohnSpence.com (April 23, 2016)
- 4 Tips for Selling Memberships More Efficiently - by Jay Handler, Membership180.com (July 20, 2015)
- Supercharge Your Chamber Membership - Blog series by Kelly Fanelli with strategies for renewing membership sales and recruiting new members. (September 18, 2014)
- All-Star Sales Advice - Chamber Executive magazine article (Fall 2014)
- 4 Smart Sales Approaches to Sell More Memberships - WebLink eBook
- Everything We Know About Selling Memberships is Wrong! - Blog post by Jay Handler, Membership180 (March 11, 2013)
- A Champion's Sales Secrets Unlocked by an Email - by Kelly Fanelli, Chamber Executive magazine article (Winter 2013)
- Four Laws of Enhancing Sales - by Jim Mathis, JimMathis.com
- Overcoming Sales Objections and Tough Renewals - Chamber Executive magazine article (Spring 2009)
- How Top-Down Selling Can Generate Higher Average Sales - by Doug Holman, Chamber Executive magazine article (Fall 2008)
- Driving Sales with Economic Development - by Demming Bass, Chamber Executive magazine article (Convention issue, 2008)
Tools & Samples
Big Box/Large Retailer Members
Convention & Seminar Resources
- 2015 "60 Ideas" Sessions: Membership and Events: ACCE members can purchase and listen to this audio recording from ACCE's 2015 Convention. Become inspired by the ideas presented in two of our most popular educational workshops: 60 Membership Ideas in 60 Minutes, from ACCE's 2015 Annual Convention, and 60 Event Ideas in 60 Minutes, from our 2015 Chamber Events Training Conference. Duration: 2 hours, 14 minutes. The events session also includes written notes of each of the ideas presented.
- 2015 National Sales Training presentation handouts:
- Tomorrow's Membership Prototypes, presentation by Mike Varney, CEO, Tucson Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce and Marianne Virgili, IOM, CCE, President & CEO, Glenwood Springs Chamber Resort Association, from the ACCE 2014 Annual Convention
- Membership Development Track Pack (6 Sessions) from the 2013 ACCE Annual Convention, available for purchase through the ACCE Store, includes tracks on:
- Growing Together: Economic Development and Membership Collaboration
- Retention Best Practices
- When to Let Go
- See also When to Let Go - PowerPoint Presentation from the ACCE 2013 Convention. Covers the issue that not all members are good members, and the cost of retaining bad members is substantial. The session and handout shows how to weed out the bad.
- Top Investors as Recruiters
- 60 Membership Ideas in 60 Minutes
- Put Your E-Newsletter to Work
- Technology & Social Media for Sales Success presentation and related links - from Tony Amador at the ACCE Sales Training 2013.
- Mobilizing Stakeholders to Sell - PPT Convention 2012
- Are They Buying What You're Selling - PPT Convention 2012
- Live! Membership Sales Seminar Series: Denver 2012 - Over 5 hrs of professional development programming covering: Retaining Members as you Grow: 25-Tips for Successful Membership Recruitment; Takin' it to the Streets: Strategies for Increasing Membership Sales; Membership Sales: Best of the Best!; and Know the Product - Determine the Chamber's Value. Available for purchase through the ACCE Store.
Videos, Webinars & ACCE U Resources
Related Chamberpedia Pages
| Membership Management
| Membership SalesLast Updated: 7/11/2017