As the name implies, tiers are levels of benefits received for a specified dues amount. Under the traditional fair share dues model, the cost of membership is scaled according to the number of employees or revenue of the member, with occasional variations such as total deposits for bank members or the number of beds for hotel members. With tiered dues, benefits increase as the investment level increases, no matter how many employees are involved.
Lower tier benefits include listings in directories, web sites and mobile apps. Typical middle tier benefits include free email blast advertising, booth discounts at trade shows, or a profile of the CEO or company in chamber publications. Upper tier benefits usually include all the benefits of the lower tiers plus such things as invitations to select events like breakfast with the mayor or advocacy trips, customized research reports and free consulting services.
Sample Tiered Dues Schedules
- See Tiered Dues Examples in ACCE's Samples Library
- Alpena Area Chamber of Commerce - The chamber has five membership tiers and benefits associated with each level: Business ($225), Sponsor ($475), Partner ($1500), Leader ($3200), and Chairman (any amount greater than Leader).
- Billings Chamber of Commerce/CVB - Membership Investment Structure - Through this 6-tiered investment structure, the benefits of each level build upon the previous levels.
- Chattanooga Area (TN) Chamber of Commerce Membership Brochure with Tiered Dues - Describes tiers and membership benefits at each level.
- Chester County (PA) Chamber of Business & Industry - Six tiers ranging from Entrepreneur Membership ($300) to Visionary ($6,300). Non-profits with 1 to 49 employees are eligible to join at the Entrepreneur Level; those with 50-plus employees must join at the next tier ($525). Entities applying for the Entrepreneur Membership must pay a $35 application fee.
- Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber Membership - Includes membership benefits, dues calculator, joint membership options with other area chambers, and an upgrade option to Gold Membership level with increased benefit options.
- Columbus (OH) Chamber of Commerce - Four tiers ranging from Basic Connect ($750) to Leadership Circle ($5,150).
- Destin Area Chamber Member Benefits - Lists tiered options and associated benefits.
- Fort Collins Area Chamber Membership - Lists membership benefits that are built on investment levels, rather than employee size; Includes online member application.
- Glenwood Springs (CO) Chamber Resort Association - Six tiers, ranging from Get Connected ($415) to Chairmanís Plus ($10,000).
- Greater Bloomington Chamber of Commerce Tiered Membership Investment Structure - Launched in 2010, this blog post explains the tiered membership structure.
- The Greater Durham (NC) Chamber of Commerce - Three tiers ranging from Cornerstone ($360) to Durham 2.0 key investors.
- Greater Omaha Chamber's Membership Dues - Provides dues structure for a variety of business types (including non-profit) and includes an online application.
- Greater Richmond (VA) Chamber of Commerce - Five tiers, ranging from Core Level to Partner Level. Investment levels within most tiers vary considerably and are tied to FTEs. Separate prices are available for community and human services organizations; individual departments of local government and state agencies; and K-12 colleges, schools and universities.
- Knoxville (TN) Chamber of Commerce - Eleven tiers; the lowest six are called Base Tiers, while the five highest are designated Premier Partner Tiers. Base Tiers range in price from $350 to $950. The lowest Premier Partner Tier requires an investment between $1,500 and $2,499, while the highest Premier Partner Tier is for businesses investing $30,000 or more.
- Lima/Allen County Chamber - Membership Dues Rates - Highlights the chamber's lowest tiered dues rate ($500), including marketing services and chamber events, noting that the total value exceeds the cost of membership.
- Longview Chamber of Commerce - Membership Application - A fair share investment schedule with a hybrid tiered investment option of the "Chairman's Club" offering Silver, Gold, and Platinum levels.
- Salem Area Chamber of Commerce - Well-branded membership brochure with tiered membership dues levels.
- Vail Valley (CO) Partnership - Offers 7 tiered levels to choose from, plus non-profit organization rates.
Surveys and Research
Books and e-Books
Videos, Webinars & ACCE U Resources
| Membership Management
| Dues Models
| Tiered DuesLast Updated: 2/26/2017